Becoming an international student as an American? study abroad?

Question:I wanted to go back to school in Europe... not a study abroad program, but as a full-time international student in either England, Holland, Ireland or Scotland. How can I get this started?

Also, does anyone know of any good schools in these areas that had good environmental science and/or literature/writing programs?

I did my graduate degree at the University of Bristol in the UK, and was accepted into the University of Nottingham and the University of Leeds as well. For British and Scottish universities, the process is very similar to the process in the US. I just applied as a normal student. You don't need to take the GRE for most UK schools, and there is no application fee. Honestly, you just fill out the application, send in your transcript and letters of recommendation.

You can also use Stafford loans and federal grants at British universities. If you need more information, go to the website for the British embassy at

The University of Bath has a good environmental studies program, as does the University of Durham and the University of Edinburgh.

For literature/writing programs, the best are Oxbridge and University College London. These are very hard to get into though. The University of Bristol has a good program ( where I had a great time and got a great education), as well as the University of St. Andrew's in Scotland.

More Related Questions & Answers...
Financial Aid
Higher Education
Home Schooling
Homework Help
Primary & Secondary Education
Special Education
Standards & Testing
Studying Abroad
Words & Wordplay
General - Education

Financial Services:

1PLs (30-day Loans)